It’s officially summer! And nothing says summer quite like watermelon.
For this recipe, we paired sweet summer melon with savory tomatoes, hydrating cucumber, and flavorful basil to create an updated version of classic chilled gazpacho. It’s the perfect way to highlight the season’s freshest produce, and with zero cook time and just 10 minutes of prep, it couldn’t be easier to prepare.
- 8 cups watermelon, cubed
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped and cored
- 2 cups cucumber, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- Juice of 2 limes
- 15 basil leaves, plus more for garnish, optional
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons chopped jalapeno, or to taste
- Combine all ingredients except garnish in a high-speed blender or food processor. Blend for from 1 to 2 minutes, until smooth (or until desired consistency is reached – some may prefer a chunkier puree).
Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour, allowing the flavors to mingle and the soup to chill.
Garnish with fresh basil leaves as desired.
Makes 3 to 4 servings.
(Recipe created by Kate McCabe for Florida Food & Farm.)
Not only is watermelon delicious, it has many health benefits too. Are you intested in learning more? Then, check out thie great article written by Helen Nichols.