Produce arrives at the West Palm Beach Stub Canal Turning Basin, after a trip from the Glades. The West Palm Beach Canal opened in 1918 and experienced a lot of traffic, since it was used to transport fruits and vegetables, along what is now Southern Boulevard (State Road 80), to rapidly growing downtown West Palm Beach.
But the opening of the Conners Highway toll road in 1924 made delivering produce and traveling from the Glades to West Palm Beach much faster. So the Stub Canal Turning Basin fell out of favor. The 1928 hurricane destroyed the unused docks. / Courtesy of the Historical Society of Palm Beach County
The former Stub Canal Turning Basin, at the southeast corner of Okeechobee Boulevard at Parker Avenue in West Palm Beach, has changed. The Kravis Center is at upper left, the Palm Beach County Convention Center at right. / J.D. Vivian