The Super Bowl is upon us, and this means one and only thing for foodies: epic snack food. Arguably one of the biggest party nights of the year, Super Bowl gatherings always tend to revolve around food. Because we know you’ve probably been racking your brain (and Pinterest) for fresh new snack ideas, we’ve rounded up a 4-in-1 recipe that is as delicious and crowd-pleasing as it is healthy and wholesome. Yes, really!
Making real deal, homemade popcorn truly couldn’t be easier, and it’s a much healthier option. Using coconut oil in the popping process lends a delicious, buttery taste, making it perfectly savory on its own with just a sprinkle of sea salt. But if you’re in the mood for something a bit more daring and unique, try one of the three seasoning recipes below. We’ve included a little something for everyone – sweet, savory, and spicy – so this snack is sure to be a total crowd pleaser.
3 tbsp coconut oil
1/3 cup organic popcorn kernels
- In a large 3-quart pot, heat the oil over medium high until the oil melts.
- Put 3 kernels into the oil and allow them to pop.
- Once the kernels pop, add the rest of the 1/3 cup popcorn kernels. Cover the pot, remove from heat, and count to 30.
- After 30 seconds, return the pot to heat and allow the rest of the kernels to pop. Keep the pot covered, with the top slightly ajar. As the kernels pop, shake the pot back and forth a few times.
- Once the popping slows to several seconds between pops, remove from heat and immediately dump into a large bowl.
- Enjoy as is, or top with one of the seasoning recipes below!
Lemon Herb Parmesan Popcorn
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
Zest of 1 lemon
Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
3/4 grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Place the olive oil and garlic in a skillet over medium-low heat. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently, until garlic softens and becomes fragrant.
- Stir in the rosemary, lemon zest, and lemon juice and remove from heat.
- Drizzle popcorn with the mixture, tossing occasionally until all popcorn is coated. If using, add in the parmesan and toss again to coat evenly.
Spicy Curry Popcorn
4 tbsp coconut oil or 4 tbsp butter
2 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper (if you’re sensitive to heat, feel free to start with less and slowly add more if needed)
1/2 tsp Himalayan salt, plus more to taste
- In a small sauce pan, add all the ingredients and heat over medium, stirring until well combined. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Drizzle popcorn with the mixture, tossing occasionally until all popcorn is coated.
Sweet Cinnamon Coconut Popcorn
1.5 cups unsweetened + raw coconut flakes
4 tbsp coconut oil or 4 tbsp butter
1/4 cup coconut sugar
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- Place the coconut flakes on a baking sheet and bake at 400 F for about 5-7 minutes (or until lightly toasted). Flip and bake for another 2-3 minutes.
- In a small sauce pan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat until warm and melted. If using butter, place in a small sauce pan and heat over medium until butter begins to foam.
- Swirl the sauce pan around until butter turns golden brown and gives off a nutty aroma (about 1-2 minutes). Set aside.
- Mix the coconut sugar, cinnamon, and toasted coconut flakes together in a small bowl.
- Drizzle popcorn with the melted coconut oil or browned butter and season with the coconut sugar mixture, tossing occasionally until all popcorn is coated.