Most people don’t think of Chocolate Mousse as healthful. But with a little ingenuity (and an avocado), it can be. / Photos by Kate McCabe
Ah, Chocolate Mousse: sweet, creamy, decadent and … healthful?! We’re giving this indulgent classic an unexpectedly healthful, and completely guilt-free, spin using the currently in-season Florida avocado.
Requiring only five ingredients, less than five minutes and zero cooking time, this is sure to become a new household favorite. It’s totally kid-approved (we promise!) and makes the perfect grab-and-go treat for school lunches or for late-night dessert cravings.
The avocado contains plenty of those good-for-you healthy fats, which have been found to boost cognitive function, support weight loss, keep your skin glowing, improve heart health, and even protect against memory loss and cognitive decline.
The cacao (also known as raw, unsweetened chocolate) is rich in antioxidants and has been shown to have a positive effect on mood and energy levels. We’re sure you’ll love this recipe for Chocolate Avocado Mousse just as much as we do!
- 2 large-to-medium avocados
- 1/3-cup raw honey or maple syrup
- 1/2-cup raw, unsweetened cacao powder
- 1/4-cup unsweetened almond milk
- Pinch of sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender or food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Enjoy immediately, or place in refrigerator (stores for up to four days).
- Optional: Top with crushed hazelnuts and an additional sprinkle of sea salt.