If you’re a chef, food enthusiast or are just up for a new challenge, it’s time to get your creative juices flowing, as The Florida Department of Health, Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services have partnered up to host a “Healthy, Fast, ‘Fresh From Florida’ Challenge.” This competition – open to Florida residents 18 years and older – is looking for people to submit healthy recipes that use “Fresh from Florida” ingredients and can be made in five minutes or less (excluding the prep time).
This first round of the competition is open until Oct. 22 at 6:00 p.m. During this round, competitors will create and perfect their original recipes, submit photos of their dish and complete their online registration.
After submissions have been received, the judges will select three recipes to move onto the next round. The three finalists will move on to compete at the World Food Championships on Friday, Nov. 6, 2015 in Kissimmee — and will have a chance to win $2500, $1000 or $500. During this stage of the competition, the contestants will make their recipe and present it to a panel of judges.
Although the submitted recipes can vary widely, there are a few rules that must be followed. These include:
- Use no salt added or low sodium products;
- Be 500 calories or fewer;
- Include food items of at least three colors;
- Contain at least two “Fresh From Florida” fruits or vegetables;
- Contain one source of protein – plant or animal sources;
- Take no more than five minutes to cook, excluding prep time; and
- Must be original, titled and include a picture.
For more information on the World Food Championship, visit the event webpage.